Saturday 22 August 2015

Scary thing

I went for a 'tune up' of my pacemaker. This is painless, it just involves placing a pad on my chest and plugging into a computer, they can tell how often it has kicked in and at what time of day [or night]. I suspect that this is near field communication. Clever thing is....It now looks for a gap of more than 1.1 seconds between heartbeats during the day and 1.3 at night before it gives me a pulse, I did ask if it automatically changed time zones if I went abroad, but alas that one is still to come.
I was asked to read a sheet of paper, this turned out to be a donor certificate, happily I signed, of course I would want to give someone else a chance to live if I no longer needed the device, I suppose 'no longer needing it' means 'after you are dead' so it is just like being an organ donor.

Or is it!

As I handed the bit of paper back I asked about battery life, these things are good for ten years apparently. This started a little calculator going in my head. No one would want a second hand unit that had less than 5 years life in it , would they? This puts a very finite figure to 'when I no longer need it'. I think I will try and make sure no one inherits this particular cast off.

No comments:

Post a Comment