Wednesday 4 March 2015

Discrimination

Before we start.....I am not racist!
I treat everyone the same until I am in a position to judge them!
This seems a sound and logical approach to me.
But something really wound me up the other day, I was sent a questionnaire by our wonderful health service, this was not about my health!
Question 1 was about my ethnic origin, and just for the record, my skin is a sort of a pinky sick colour with freckles, so I answered that I was white British.
There was no space for pink, pink with freckles, yellow or brown British.

I think we need a rethink. Being British should not depend upon the shade of your skin. Surely it depends on whether you are proud to call yourself British. I think there are probably many people who consider themselves part of this island community who would take this as some sort of a snub that their ethnic origin is more important than the fact that they have adopted Britain as their home.

I think that the questionnaire was probably thought up by some politically correct do-gooder, although it completely escapes me as to what reason the health service needs to know your ancestral past or the particular hue of your skin. I can only presume that this is somehow related to positive discrimination? maybe I wont get my appointment next time because they have already filled the quota of my particular ethnic type.

Positive discrimination is exactly what it says, DISCRIMINATION. It needs to be scrapped, end of!

No comments:

Post a Comment